Standards for Computer Access on Campus
In an effort to ensure equal access to all computing facilities on campus, the following software and related tools are suggested. Possible vendors and estimated costs are included for ease of purchase.
- Minimun Suggested Windows-based Desktop Technical Specifications:
- 2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
- 1 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM Memory
- 80 GB Hard Drive Storage
- CD-RW/DVD-RW Optical Drives
- Audio Card with Speakers
- PC Microphone
- Windows XP
The following software and peripherals are suggested to accommodate students with visual impairments, cognitive or learning disorders, psychological disorders, mobility impairments and limitations in manual dexterity.
|Software||Suggested Vendor||Unit Price|
|MAGic (screen magnification software)||Freedom Scientific||No Charge*|
|JAWS (screen reader software)||Freedom Scientific||No Charge*|
|Kurzweil 3000 (scan-and-read)||Kurzweil Educational Systems||No Charge*|
|Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred||Nuance||$99.99|
|text HELP! Read & Write (text to speech)||TextHELP! Systems Ltd.||No Charge*|
|Inspiration K-12||Inspiration software, Inc.||$65.00|
|Mindjet MindManager||Mindjet Mindmanager||$399.00|
|*No Charge applies only to UGA Departments. The DRC has secured site-licensing for some applications to be used on the UGA campus.|
|Hardware & Peripherals|
|Scanner (for text to speech software)||Cannon/Epson/HP||$100.00|
|Ergonomic Adjustable Workstation||Anthro Technology Furniture||$750.00|
|Mice, Joysticks, Trackballs||Various vendors||$100.00|
|Alternative Keyboards||Various vendors||$100.00|
|Microphone and Headsets||Various vendors||$40.00|
|Monitor (21 inch or larger)||Various vendors||$600.00|
Resources: Web Page Accessibility
- Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI): http://www.w3.org/WAI/
- WebAIM index of web accessibility articles
- The University of Georgia
- EITS Wiki: Web Accessibility and Persons with Disabilities
- UGA Web Accessibility Group Wiki
Direct questions to:
Disability Resource Center
The University of Georgia
- JAWS for Windows is a powerful accessibility solution that reads information on your screen using synthesized speech. JAWS provides many useful commands that make it easier to use programs, edit documents, and read Web pages. With a refreshable Braille display, JAWS can also provide Braille output in addition to, or instead of, speech. An array of versatile features and customizable options lets you tailor JAWS for your individual needs and preferences.
- MAGic combines great magnification features with true low vision screen reading when purchased with the speech option. It gives you the ability to choose the information you want read from the screen as you navigate your applications. MAGic is easy to use with its talking large print installation, color-coded user interface, and hot keys that avoid conflicts with Windows and popular software applications.
- Kurzweil 3000 LearnStation
- Kurzweil 3000 is the comprehensive reading, writing and learning software solution for any struggling reader, including individuals with learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, or those who are English Language Learners. Kurzweil 3000 LearnStation allows users to open previously scanned documents as well as other electronic documents. Kurzweil 3000 LearnStation provides the same powerful reading, writing, and learning tools as the Kurzweil 3000 Professional product.
- TextHelp Read&Write
- TextHelp Read&Write is a literacy support tool designed to assist users of all ages who require extra assistance when reading or composing text. Read & Write 8.1 offers support functionality frequently absent in mainstream MS Windows applications. In addition, it provides a host of study features to assist any user with research & composition. The software works with all mainstream Windows applications. This offers users with literacy difficulties the opportunity to work in an inclusive manner alongside their peers and colleagues.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking v9.0
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking gives users the power to create documents, reports, e-mails and more-all by speaking. Fast, easy and amazingly accurate, it is over three times faster than typing. Just use your voice to dictate and edit in Microsoft Word and Excel, Corel WordPerfect, and virtually all Windows-based applications. You can even dictate into a handheld device when you are away from your PC, or use a Bluetooth microphone. It has never been easier to use.
- Mindjet Manager
- Turn brainstorming into an action plan using an interactive environment that shows the big picture and details in one clear view.